15/09/2010

molly

Yesterday, my very good friend Molly lost her ongoing battle with cancer. I honestly can't believe it. Moll was only 39.
I lived with Molly when I moved up to Sheffield in 2002 having moved away from all my friends and family down South. Those couple of years spent with her at Khartoum Road are so special and so memorable for me. I really felt that I found who I was with the help of Moll. She was the big sister I never had. I don't think I've ever laughed so much or ended up in more crazy situations or felt as cosy as I did there. We would party at the weekend, go for yummy food, drag the duvet down onto the living room floor and have film Sundays, dance to great music, I'd listen to her hysterical stories and wonderful poems, she'd cook amazing food, we'd sit in the garden with Pippy and Des (her gorgeous cats) and we'd talk for hours and hours.
Moll had packed so much in to her life... growing up a complete punk/goth in Birmingham, going to Bretton Hall Drama School, moving out to Ibiza to work as a DJ, moving to Sheffield, learning Spanish, working as a creative practitioner with disabled people and meeting her gorgeous fella Dave and marrying him on the top of the Empire State Building in New York! Along the way she had made a ridiculous amount of friends and could remember absolutely everything... a date, a song, a name... she had a memory like a bloody elephant! But it was her sense of humour that I will remember her most for... we used to call each other 'My comedy partner' and I've never known anyone to love laughing and making others laugh as much as Moll.
She truly was an amazing, inspirational, talented, gorgeous, funny, compassionate, one of a kind person and she will be sorely missed. I think anyone who had the privilege of knowing her will carry a bit of Molly around with them and I am so so proud to have called her my friend. Rest in peace gorgeous lady, we all love you so very much.




Sending all my love to her sister Rachel (who is in the picture with Moll) and to all her family. xxxxxxx
Me and Molly

19 comments:

  1. Wow doll, what a proud post. I'm so sorry for your loss but I greatly admire your positivity at such a sad time. You are a lighthouse. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so moving and sad... you are keeping her memory alive, beautiful tribute she really sounds like an AMAZING AMAZING lady that has touched the hearts of those around her.Big love.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so sorry to hear of your loss Emma! She sounds like an amazing person and no doubt will be very missed. Big hearts and hugs go out to you and for her family. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that, it's always devastating to lose someone close to you, it's really unexplainable in words....we always have to remember the days life not the one day of death. My thoughts are with you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a moving post, thanks for sharing your wonderful friendship. I lost a wonderful friend in a similarly untimely way. As you say, carrying her memory with you every day will keep Molly alive and remind you how lucky you were to have her as your friend. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so sorry to hear of your loss :-( Life can be cruel and unfair. Big hugs!! If you ever need someone to talk to mail me anytime x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I follow you by way of Rock n Roll Bride and saw your comment on Twitter. I am so sorry your friend lost her fight. Your tribute to her is beautiful and makes the reader feel as though we knew her a little bit too. She sounds like the best kind of friend to have had, one to share laughter with and who will leave you with a lifetime of memories of your friendship. My thoughts are with you and her family. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am deeply sorry to hear about your lovely friend Molly, she sounds like an amazing woman who will never be forgotten and I am glad you have your wonderful memories to hold on to at this very sad time.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you had to write this. But it's a beautiful post. Moll sounds like one amazing lady x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Emma so sorry for your loss X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emma this beautful, moving post shows not only what a good friend and person Molly was but also what a good friend you are.

    I am also quite certain that everything you wrote above you also said to Molly in person. I hope everyone who reads this post tries to do the same, tell someone special to you how special they are while you still can.

    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  12. She sounds like a wonderful person. I am so sorry xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw Em, I'm so sorry for your loss - but it also sounds like you gained massively from knowing your beautiful friend (as I'm sure she did from knowing you too). Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Condolences to you and her family... so sorry, much love and hugs and thoughts your way. She sounds like a true spit fire who lived her life as life is meant to be lived, full of adventure and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I logged onto your blog because your photos and posts give me so much inspiration and reading what you have written about your friend, I have tears in my eyes. There's so much love in what you have written, sympathy and love to you and Molly's family at such a sad time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Emma I'm so sorry, what an awful thing to have happened. It's just not fair is it. I know it's a small comfort but how wonderful to have touched so many people's lives and to have spread so much love and laughter around. It sounds like she crammed more amazing things into her life than most people do who live till old age. Thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so sad. We're so sorry Emma. All our love and condolences. kirstie + jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so sad. We're so sorry Emma. All our love and condolences. kirstie + jonathan

    ReplyDelete