Sunday, 19 January 2014

Morning rituals..

Every morning Rachael wakes up at around 5am, snuggles up in bed with Talei and reads stories, then they have breakfast together and get ready for school.  Perhaps nothing out of the ordinary happens most of the time, hair is brushed, shoe laces are tied, pikelets are eaten.. but this is where, for me, the ordinary becomes, very much.. the extraordinary..

When I sent Rachael a few images she wrote on her blog..

Every morning i get up to a little "mummy"....."mummy". at 5am.  I snuggle down in bed with her.  We read, we chat, we cuddle.  This first image I had been awake for about 15 minutes. my hair hadn't been washed for a couple of days and the day before I had had a hat on it all day. there wasn't a scrap of make-up on my face, I didn't have my fancy pjs on, I hadn't even looked in the mirror... but this photo. is real. and true. and exactly how it is. at 5am. and I am going to put it pride of place in our home... because when she is 25.. and travelling the world.. and living a million miles away form me, I will have this photo...  of exactly how it is.. and exactly how it was. 

And the routine. in our bathroom that I haven't been overly fond of since the day we bought our wee home. but in these images... the bathroom doesn't even matter. What I see is our routine. The way every morning we brush our teeth... together... sitting just like this, me on the edge of the bath, she copying me.  And she won't do this with me forever, nor will she let me jump in and cuddle her each morning forever. so. these are more than just photos to me.  They hit me in the gut. and these tiny morning routines. are huge. because these are the moments that actually really really matter. to me. to the hours I have stayed at home with her. for the really hard days when being a mummy feels as impossible as moving a mountain...   for the exquisite beauty in the ordinary everyday.

Rachael, thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for letting us catch a glimpse of your ordinary.

God dammit.. for me, this is what it's ALL about.






12 comments:

  1. These photos actually brought a tear to my eye, capturing so many tiny moments that are so ordinary, but so precious in their "everydayness".

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn it Emma and Pete! You know what these images mean to me. I LOVE you guys so much! Thank you again. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love and shoot everyday moments all the time. The morning routine is a huge marker in a family life as it's always evolving. I recently captured and blogged our annual morning routine and I'm so happy to have a record of these memories.
    This is a wonderful gift you've given them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely beautiful! My heart can tell how just how much these mean to Rachael. Stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup. They mean everything to me lovely lady! xxx

      Delete
  5. Perfectly beautiful... and I love the bathroom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful Emma. The moment I have any monies at all I'm inviting you to come and photograph our family in all of its beautiful, imperfect chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these. makes me realise that I don't take enough of my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wauw, amazing pictures, and what a beautiful girl!


    www.facebook.com/intnsphtrgrphy
    www.intnsphtgrphy.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutle stunning photos so much real life emotion

    ReplyDelete
  10. These images are just absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete